# North Star Recycling Center
North Star Township hosts a Recycling Program that is funded entirely by the Western Lake Superior Sanitary District (WLSSD) via an annual grant to the Township. WLSSD contracts with various companies to pick up the recycled material. For more information about the WLSSD recycling program, please visit https://wlssd.com/ (opens new window).
# Hours of Operation
Every Saturday, 9AM to Noon (except Christmas Day or during extremely inclement weather).
Recycled materials are only accepted during normal hours of operation.
Attendant: Mr. Bill Taft
Location: Adjacent to Town Hall at 7700 Pequaywan Lake Road, Duluth MN
Geographic Area: Accepts recycled materials from throughout the WLSSD service area.
# WHAT CAN BE RECYCLED?
- Paper, white, brown or colored
- Paper bags
- Shredded paper contained by stapled paper bags
- Pressboard/pasteboard (cereal/cracker boxes, shoeboxes, etc)
- Phone books, magazines, catalogues, paperback books
- Clean metal cans for food
- Clean plastic bottles, tubs, jugs, jars, lids (see below for which plastics that CANNOT be accepted)
- Clean film bags (grocery bags, stretch/shrink wrap, salt bags) WITHOUT rigid plastic closing mechanisms
Aluminum cans can be donated to Boy Scouts Troop 7 in a separate trailer adjacent to the town hall.
For more information and tips about recycling, please visit https://wlssd.com/services/recycling/recycling-for-residents (opens new window)
# MATERIALS THAT MAY NOT BE ACCEPTED
- Flower pots
- Bubble wrap material
- Plastic containers for toxics, such as motor oil, pesticides, other toxics
- Light-weight plastic (clam-shell food containers that crunch when crushed)
- Plastic toys, furniture, tools, etc
- Foam, Styrofoam
- Plastic cups, plates, utensils
- Window glass
- Canning jars
- Drinking glasses
- Scrap metal, non-food cans (paint, solvents)
- Boat/vehicle shrink-wrap
- Soil or mulch bags, black plastic bags, bubble wrap
- Plastic food containers, bottles, or film that breaks when you press a finger into it
# OTHER RECYCLING OPPORTUNITIES
WLSSD provides facilities to recycle or dispose of other types of materials like the items listed below.
- Yard Waste
- Food Waste
- Materials Recycling
- Hazardous Waste
For more information, please visit https://wlssd.com/services/recycling/misc-recyclables/ (opens new window). The WLSSD facility hours of operations can be found at https://wlssd.com/hours-facilities/ (opens new window).